Baby bibs are essential items you ought to have at hand when your baby is born. They are lifesavers. Moreover, they keep your little ones from messing up their cute little outfits and save you the trouble of outfit changes all day long. From spit-ups to dribbles and feeding messes, the best baby bibs will keep your baby relatively clean, comfortable, and looking adorable.
Certainly, bibs come in a variety of designs and materials to serve different functions. Therefore, this article will help you figure out the best option for your little one and what you should consider when buying baby bibs.
1. Uses Of Baby Bibs
Bibs for mealtime
- Silicone Bibs – They are soft, waterproof, and are the easiest to clean – they can be wiped by hand or put in the dishwasher.
- Plastic Bibs – Certainly, plastic bibs are also waterproof and clean easily.
- Smock-style Bibs – These are ideal for messy eaters since they offer full coverage for your baby. In that case, if your baby is a messy eater, consider this bib.
- Disposable bibs – Your baby can only use these bibs once. Therefore, if you are traveling or need to use a bib on the go, this is your best option.
Bibs for teething or drooling
- Cloth bibs
They are simple machine-washable bibs made from absorbent materials and are perfect for drooling or teething.
- Bandana bibs
They are stylish and trendy cloth bibs made from absorbent material to keep your baby’s clothes dry.
Bibs for newborns and babies
Newborns and babies need bibs to safeguard their clothes from the spit-up that comes after breastfeeding. Furthermore, these bibs also shield your clothes from the mess when you are burping your little one.
- Newborn bibs: They are tiny cloth bibs made from soft, absorbent material designed to fit small necks.
- Multi-use bibs/ Burp Cloths: They come bigger than bibs and come in absorbent material. Thus, you can drape them over the baby’s shoulder.
2. How To Choose The Best Baby Bibs
With the numerous designs, materials, and styles baby bibs come in today; it is daunting to make the right choice for your munchkin. Worry not, because we have a list of some of the critical things to consider when buying a baby bib.
- Waterproof: They protect your baby’s clothes by keeping your baby dry all day. Additionally, they are easy to clean and do not soak in food smells.
- Soft material: You also want to consider a bib that will not irritate your baby’s skin. Go for bibs that won’t rub against your little one because if it does, he will most likely want to yank it off.
- Adjustable neckband: Find a bib that will grow with your baby. Babies grow fast, and you don’t want to keep running to the store to find new bibs every time they outgrow them.
- Closed way: You should consider getting a bib that has firm closures. As babies grow, they can pull off the bibs mid-meal or when they are throwing a tantrum. Go for bibs that can snap or those that you can tie as they are firmer than velcro.
- Pouch/Pocket: Bibs with pouches or pockets offer extra coverage for the baby during mealtime. Consequently, they hold the food that may otherwise end up on their laps or the floor.
- Coverage: If your baby is a messy feeder, getting a bib with full coverage would be the best option for you. Thus, these are bibs that come with sleeves or those that cover the whole torso and shoulders.
3. The Best Baby Bibs In 2021
Best Silicone Bib: Happy Healthy Parent Silicone Bib
- Is easy to clean
- It does not absorb liquid
- It is soft on the baby’s skin
- Adjustable snap closure
- It is bulkier than other bibs in the market.
Best Plastic Bib: Green Sprouts Snap & Go Wipe-Off Bibs
You can easily and neatly roll up any messes or used utensils in this plastic bib if you are using it while traveling or on the go.
- Designed with a pocket to hold spilled food
- They have adjustable, easy to hook, and loop closures.
- Made from safe BPA -free materials
- Come in a contoured design that helps it stay put when feeding the baby.
- The patterns wash off after some washes.
Best Smock-Style Bib: Bumkins Waterproof Sleeved Bib
If you are looking for full coverage, this is your best bet.
- It covers the entire torso.
- Made of 100% polyester, making it lightweight and breathable
- Easy to clean by either wiping or machine wash.
- It has a lap pouch to catch falling food.
- Some parents have complained that the neck closure can take a while to fasten.
Best Disposable Bib: Bibsters Disposable Bib
These bibs are the perfect traveling partner or when you need to feed your munchkin on the go.
- It comes in a range of cute designs
- They have an absorbent triple layer protection
- Have a pocket to catch food crumbs while your little one is eating
Best Cloth Bib: Bumkins Super Bib
This bib has been touted as the best bib in the market by many parents.
- It comes in 100% polyester fabric
- It’s lightweight.
- It is stain-resistant
- It comes with a pocket that holds foods that spill over when your baby is feeding.
- Has an adjustable hook and loop neck closure.
- Is machine-washable- It dries fast after a wash
- It comes in cute designs and is very comfortable for babies.
Best Bandana Bib: Nuby Teething Bib
These cute baby bandanas will have your baby looking trendy while keeping them dry and comfortable as they feed.
- Made from super-absorbent cotton muslin fabric
- It comes with a built-in teether to soothe the baby’s gums
- Sold as a set of three
- Baby can yank off the velcro-closure
Best Newborn Bib: Parker Baby Co. Bandana Drool Bibs
They are great for absorbing drool and spit-up that occurs after breastfeeding.
- Adjustable nickel-free snaps
- They come in soft fabric for maximum comfort
- Super absorbent
- Smaller than other bibs in the market
Best Multi-Use Bib: Weesprout Cotton Burp Cloths
These burp cloths are versatile and can be used as bibs to keep your munchkin dry and comfortable as they feed.
- Made from 100% organic cotton
- Come in four layers of ultra-absorbent material to ensure your baby stays dry all day.
- They provide full coverage and have fasteners to keep it in place
- Washer and dryer- friendly
- Extra soft and breathable
After careful consideration of the bibs’ function we have mentioned and their cost-effectiveness, we picked the Bumkins Super Bib. They are cute, absorbent, and don’t stain. On the other hand, they don’t distort after washing, unlike other bibs. Furthermore, most parents recommend these bibs as they also dry very fast. You can easily wash them, and they will be ready for your baby’s next feed. We love that they also offer wide coverage to ensure that your baby stays dry throughout their feed.
To conclude, we hope that this information was helpful as you go out to buy a bib for your little one. We look forward to discussing more parenting knowledge with you as you walk this parenting journey.